Last weeks roundups
Football: 2023 Uefa Europa Conference League final
- West Ham's 43-year quest for a major trophy finally came to an end in a thrilling finale as Jarrod Bowen delivered a sensational last-minute goal, propelling them to victory against Fiorentina and clinching the coveted Europa Conference League title in Prague.
- The final appeared destined for an extra-time showdown, with the tension palpable, as Said Benrahma's second-half penalty was nullified a mere seven minutes later by an expertly executed strike from Giacomo Bonaventura, adding even more drama to the proceedings.
- Bowen executed a perfectly timed run, showcasing his impeccable sense of timing, while Lucas Paqueta demonstrated his exceptional vision by threading a sublime pass through the formidable Fiorentina defense, setting up a prime opportunity for Bowen to make his mark.
- The atmosphere of the game was fraught with tension and occasional animosity, reaching its nadir when an incident turned truly unsightly. Fiorentina captain Cristiano Biraghi bore the brunt of the ugliness, as a plastic bottle hurled from the West Ham section struck him, casting a dark shadow over an otherwise competitive and testy encounter.
Football: 2023 Uefa Champions League final
- In a momentous culmination of their arduous journey, Manchester City's relentless pursuit of the coveted Champions League title reached its pinnacle in Istanbul. Facing off against Inter Milan, Pep Guardiola's formidable side emerged victorious, etching their names in history as they completed the remarkable Treble
- Despite their status as an all-conquering force, Guardiola's formidable side found themselves facing a formidable challenge from an exceptionally well-organized Inter team. Struggling to find their usual rhythm, Manchester City had to confront the additional setback of losing the influential Kevin de Bruyne to an unfortunate injury
French Open: Roland Garros Final
- On a historic Sunday at the French Open, Novak Djokovic demonstrated his unrivaled prowess by triumphing over Ruud and seizing the title.
- In a remarkable feat at Roland Garros, the 36-year-old Serb etched his name in the tennis record books once again, clinching his 23rd major title. With this momentous triumph, Novak Djokovic surpassed Rafael Nadal to claim the lead by a single major title and extended his advantage over Roger Federer to a remarkable three championships, solidifying his standing as one of the greatest players to have ever graced the sport.
This weeks round ups
NBA Playoffs: Denver Nuggets vs Miami Heat 13/06/23
- With the highly anticipated culmination of the NBA Finals on the horizon, the Denver Nuggets find themselves on the precipice of an extraordinary milestone: securing their first-ever championship ring. The question looms large: Will they seize the opportunity to clinch the series in Game Five?
- Nikola Jokic has etched his name in NBA history by becoming the first player ever to achieve an impressive feat: amassing 500 points, 250 rebounds, and 150 assists in a single postseason. His all-around dominance has been nothing short of exceptional. Meanwhile, Jamal Murray has also made his mark in the record books as the first player in NBA history to record 10+ assists in each of their first four NBA Finals games, showcasing his exceptional playmaking skills on the grandest stage of them all.
- In the absence of Tyler Herro, whose ability to revive their long-range shooting has been sorely missed, the Miami Heat have struggled, shooting at a subpar 32 percent or worse from beyond the arc
- As the Miami Heat navigate the uncertainty surrounding Tyler Herro's return from a broken hand, they have refrained from setting a definitive timeline. However, as the magnitude of the upcoming pivotal game looms, they face a crucial decision.
Men's Major: US Open 15/06/23
- The stage is set for an enthralling showdown as Matt Fitzpatrick, the reigning champion, makes his return following a captivating one-shot triumph and a breakthrough maiden major title at Brookline last year. The Englishman embarks on this year's tournament with a resolute mission: to etch his name in history as the first player since Brooks Koepka to successfully defend a major championship.
- With his recent triumph securing his fifth major victory, Koepka enters the upcoming tournament as one of the top contenders. Having ascended to the pinnacle of the golfing world in the past as a former world No. 1, Koepka now stands on the cusp of joining the exclusive company of Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods.
- The competitive landscape in the world of golf continues to be electrifying as Masters champion Jon Rahm and Scottie Scheffler persist in their captivating battle for supremacy atop the world rankings. With their exceptional form and unwavering determination, both players are poised to make a significant impact on the major stage, further bolstering their growing legacies. Meanwhile, all eyes remain on Rory McIlroy, whose pursuit of major glory has endured a dry spell since 2014. Eager to reclaim his position at the pinnacle of the sport, McIlroy enters the tournament with renewed hope and the determination to bring an end to his major championship drought.
- Phil Mickelson finds himself presented with yet another chance to achieve the elusive career Grand Slam, a remarkable feat that has eluded him thus far. As the US Open returns to the vibrant city of Los Angeles for the first time in 75 years, the stage is set for a momentous occasion at the prestigious Los Angeles Country Club. Mickelson is just one notable name among a formidable LIV contingent, showcasing the strength and depth of talent poised to contend for the title.