Weekly Sports Roundup #7 (13/02/23)
Last weeks roundups
- Chelsea staged a stunning comeback against Borussia Dortmund, securing a 2-0 victory and earning a spot in the quarterfinals of the highly anticipated Champions League
- Bayern Munich beat PSG 2-0. Another disappointing Champions League for PSG. Will Mbappe stay next year?
- Tottenham's hopes of advancing in the tournament were dashed as they fell to a 1-0 aggregate defeat against AC Milan.
- France delivered a stunning performance to claim a resounding 53-10 victory over England, inflicting the worst ever defeat on the home side at Twickenham.
- Ireland beat Scotland 22-7. Ireland are now one step closer to winning this year's six nations.
- Italy lost to Wales 29-17
This weeks round ups
- Around 280,000 spectators are expected at the event
- The Grade 1 races include:
The Cheltenham Gold Cup
Queen Mother Champion Chase
- Much of the talk this year centres around how riders will adapt to the regulations regarding the use of the whip.
- Rules introduced last month reduce the number of times a jockey can whip a horse to 7 in jumps races and 6 in flat races.
- As the much-awaited opening day of the Festival approaches, all eyes will be on Nicky Henderson's sensational runner, Constitution Hill. The exciting horse has notched up an impressive winning streak, triumphing in each of his last five races by an astounding total of 77 lengths.
- Meanwhile, the formidable duo of A Plus Tard and Rachael Blackmore are poised to defend their Gold Cup crown.
- De Bromhead and Blackmore will hope Honeysuckle, who has won 16 of her 18 races, can claim her third Festival triumph on Tuesday.
This week we will focus on the Champions League and the FA cup Quarter Finals
Manchester City vs RB Leipzig Tuesday 14th March:
- Manchester City's ability to maintain their composure will be put to the test as they aim to progress to the Quarter Final, having drawn against their German opponents in their previous encounter at the Etihad.
- Guardiola has affirmed that his Manchester City tenure will be evaluated based on whether he can guide the team to their first-ever Champions League triumph.
Real Madrid vs Liverpool Wednesday 15th March:
- Liverpool faces a daunting challenge as they attempt to overturn a 5-2 aggregate deficit against Real Madrid, making their path to the quarterfinals of the competition an uphill battle.
- Liverpool's upcoming match presents a crucial test of their strength, having recently secured an impressive 7-0 victory over arch-rivals Manchester United, and are currently in contention for a top-four finish.
Formula 1 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix
- Formula one returns to the fastest street circuit on the calendar
- After reigning world champion Max Verstappen made a strong start to his title defence in Bahrain, the rest of the girls are looking to hit back in Jeddah.
- Ferrari is optimistic that their recent set-up changes will lead to improved performance, while the focus will also be on Fernando Alonso to see if he can sustain their surge up the grid.
- Mercedes will aim to make a comeback after a lacklustre start, with attention on Lewis Hamilton, who had reportedly criticised the team following their struggles in Bahrain.